This topic contains 48 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by Profile photo of john bennett john bennett 5 years ago.

Are you offended by swearing in the forums?

• Profile photo of john bennett

. prvt john bennett (major charecter) the crypt.

.100% Texan

.redhed

Profile photo of nilling

[flickr-photo:id=3906961376,size=s] KISS

Profile photo of Beth_Ailis

Must be pretty interesting. Is it because rats’ patooties are very small? Why a rat and not a gerbil or a mosquito (do mosquitos have patooties?)

There must be a book or a blog in this, if only I had the time…

Go Steelers! Go Dawgs!

Profile photo of

"Coke and a smile and shut the fuck up."

Best forum comment of the month, hands-down. Go athanas

Profile photo of Wolf

a rats patootie what you heard! All I want to know is, who comes up with this shit?

[flickr-photo:id=3383210176,size=m][flickr-photo:id=3722083270,size=m]
    And Friend of MuchAdo!

I’ve heard both "I don’t give a rat’s ass" and (from my Dad) "I don’t give half a rat’s ass" or when my Mom is around, "I don’t give a happy rat’s rear"

I had no idea that the Dutch didn’t give a rat’s ass either. It IS a small world afterall.

Go Steelers! Go Dawgs!

Profile photo of Peter Braat

seeing as I may have the worst "potty mouth" in The Netherlands. I generally think you don’t swear as much as I do

of course I may be wrong 

[1st Dutch junkie] All that matters is getting my fix.

Profile photo of Dave Johnson

Cos I am the first to admit my mouth is like a sewer… I struggle to keep myself polite when working and get pulled up on it regularly … so I’m sorry if I’ve caused any offence to anyone with my potty talk.

Profile photo of athanas

Do you navigate around any such swear filter if it is in place?

If the answer is "No" to these two questions, then tell the concerned party to have a Coke and a smile and shut the fuck up.

"Buckaroo Bonzai" is one of my all time favorites. (Does that make me chronilogically old?)

But you can still be a "Boy" Just don’t be wearing the green tights in public, OK? 

Go Steelers! Go Dawgs! Got my signed copy of "The Rookie"

Profile photo of Arioch Morningstar

But the fans have created a decent interactive fan site:

http://www.childrenofacid.com/main.php

If you like techno/electronica/rave you should check it out.

[flickr-photo:id=3958822882,size=s][flickr-photo:id=3274749401,size=m][flickr-photo:id=3958341944,size=s]

Oh, wait. That’s not a bad thing Cool 

Carry on.

[flickr-photo:id=3311831734,size=s][flickr-photo:id=3274749401,size=m][flickr-photo:id=3164696453,size=s]

I honestly can’t remember what you look like. The image I had in my head was BarbaraJ. Too many ladies infatuated with Pope Siglericus XXX

What do I consider old? This has changed over time, which gives some insight into how much this definition fluctuates over the course of one’s life. When I was a teenager, 35 seemed horrendously old. Yet I’m 37 now and still feel like a little boy inside. So am I old? I’d say no. Chronological age seems to have little to do with it. I’m very attracted to a 50 year old woman currently. That’s a large part of why I think the social taboo about asking a woman’s age is retarded.

At present, my definiton of what is old is a person who has begun to lose *both* their physical appearance and their mental acuity. Mental acuity is a combination of wit, an ability to learn, and playfulness. If any of these is intact, I’d say that the candidate is not necessarily old. It’s one of those totally subjective judgment calls. The mind and the body are both deterministic factors which can be highly colored by the observer’s perspective.

There’s an excellent chance I would be considered old by many high school and/or college students based upon this same criteria. To sum up, when determining if any given candidate is in fact old, you must take into account three factors:

1. The perspective of the person doing the observing
    2. What is the physiological appearance of the observed candidate
    3. How well does the mind of the observed candidate still function? Are they still playful? Can they quickly adapt to changing situations or have they become locked into their routines?

Does that answer your question?

[flickr-photo:id=3311831734,size=s][flickr-photo:id=3274749401,size=m][flickr-photo:id=3164696453,size=s]

….but not so much in a subjective sense. I’ll elaborate more when I respond to MuchAdo’s comment below.

Not positive about who the eldest junkie is. We’ve definitely got quite a diverse crowd. Wolf is pretty up there. Not sure how old he is. And then we have a slew of folks who don’t actively participate all that often. Distinct possibility one of them could be bed ridden and not able to participate as often as they’d like.

So if you’re willing to place that wager, your chronological age must be over 90. 80 at a bare minimum. But as LadyAdo said, ’tis not polite to ask, so I’m not going to. Even though I personally find that "rule" retarded. But this is not the place for me to rant about my pecadillos.

"We’re all monkeys!" -Brad Pitt

and I actually find it somewhat of a compliment being referred to as a boy since I have a minor Peter Pan complex Tongue out

Hook always makes me cry. Cry

Profile photo of ogreoregon

I  liked my avatar…the original one with my tounge sticking out…remember? but I "borrowed" it from someplace I found on the web…. then I had a cartoon…I actually do not have a photo of me on this computer yet…but now…The Blue triangle Dude…named "Try" is my favorite….someday, I will find a nice non scary photo and post it…. but I am OLD… very, very OLD!!! and getting older as we speak….remember the liver spots mentioned in the crypt….?  The Admiral is Old too. IF old is the winner…I win…I will put it this way…I bet I am older than anyone else here….my body is.. but the brain…..I have the brain of a child…really, in a jar on my lab table…
    *I am the Rear Admiral but Sigler gives the Orders*

Profile photo of Shirley Bruce

For a long time I had my real pic as an avatar.  It was changed back in February.  Now my next question is what would you consider old?  Be careful with your answer and remember it isn’t niced to ever ask a woman her age.

[flickr-photo:id=3938763689,size=m] and friend of GirlCo’s official mascot

I’m sure I have a few of those around here, let me go find one.

muahhahahahahahaaa

Neener!

Call me a plebe

-scoffs arrogantly-

You can call me names, but I might just slap the sh*t out of you.  FDO always seems to do his name-calling in an affectionate, almost benevolent way. And we all know that rules for the plebeans don’t apply to the FDO.

There’s no way in hell I’m going to be anything other than a proud denizen of the gutter. I may come visit y’all up top from time to time, but I will return to the depths to hang with the Nosferatu at the end of the day.

The FDO does it too. They seem to like it……

Member of GirlCo, Damned Dirty Junkie, etc.

I guess we’re not allowed to do that anymore. Sad Day Cry

but I figured it would be more mature to actually ask and see what the general feeling was.

There are several participants in the forums who I have no clue what they look like (or much of anything about them). You and MuchAdo both spring to mind. I don’t think either of you has ever used a real pic as your avatar.

I’m not necessarily saying you should (although Scott does prefer it), but it does make my mental image of who I’m conversing with a bit more ambiguous. The recent incident with Cobrastarship is a good example of what can happen sometimes. Everyone assumed she was a he for a few days until she logged back on and berated (okay, that’s a bit of hyperbole) us for it. How were we to know? 

The chatting and swearing is totally ancillary. 

We are the borg. You have been assimilated Tongue out

Profile photo of J.P.

GUNCH.

MC; CA; UNdead Jester and Love Slave of the UNdead Grave Mother

Profile photo of J.P.

Swearing in the forums? I thought “forum” was Latin for “the place where folks go to chat and swear.” (Loosely translated, of course.) And I think I’m the one credited (or not) with saying there were too many f-bombs in a post. There weren’t too many. There were an inordinate number of them in a couple of posts as compared to his normal volume. That, tied to what appeared to be excessive meanness toward a fellow junkie = my comment that spawned this thread. Good question to ask though! Now, off to the forums…

MC; CA; UNdead Jester and Love Slave of the UNdead Grave Mother

Profile photo of Jordan Willis

i mostly censor myself because i dont wear all that often. I’ll say holy sh*t. I do say holy shit sometimes and i i dont really say fuck, i say fk. but anyway, frankly i hear worse at school in the halls and from my friends.

G-Man

"I used to be obsessed with a tv show about people acting like jackasses. I think it was called dumbass" – Earl Hickey

Because her user name always reminds me or OREOs!

[flickr-photo:id=3763066856,size=m] and friend of GirlCo’s official mascot

Profile photo of ogreoregon

Just kidding…. !!!Tongue out

I am not offended..and I love colorful language..sometimes only certain swear words or other colorfull expessions can convey the mood!
    It should all be in good spirits, no personal attacks or real evil mean attitudes allowed…
    I just have to remember that the kids know lots more bad words that I do…. 

*I am the Rear Admiral but Sigler gives the Orders*

Profile photo of Kendra Stansak

i wouldn’t even have noticed if you hadn’t brought it up! we’re all big boys and girls here and it’s not like we haven’t heard those words before……. just as long as there’s not a swear word every other word; i guess what i’m saying is just as long as no one gets carried away.

Dark General of Vampire Corps for Sigler!
    (VC4S)!! and proud member of Girlco!

I just couldn’t resist. 

Profile photo of Gmork

to make that exact statement my first reply to this thread as well Tongue out

Fuck no!

Tongue out 

Profile photo of Belladonna420

I was gonna say that!  Tongue out 

the above said!!!!!! Tongue out

[flickr-photo:id=3763066856,size=m] and friend of GirlCo’s official mascot

Profile photo of Vaney

(Even though I already posted my answer Innocent)

• Proud Member of GirlCo, Evil Incarnate, and Pastry Princess
    Profile photo of Joseph Cartwright

[flickr-photo:id=3718433600,size=m][flickr-photo:id=3725895360,size=m]

Profile photo of Wolf

[flickr-photo:id=3383210176,size=m][flickr-photo:id=3722083270,size=m]
    And Friend of MuchAdo!

Profile photo of Renee Jordan

by sadock and his filth-filled, dirty-minded rants about… oh wait, its Kirk Cameron who offends me, not sadock. Nevermind :) 

**UNdead/GirlCo – We’ll eat your brains and look good doing it.**

Profile photo of Renee Jordan

I’m TOTALLY kidding about that. Lets be real here folks, little kids should not be coming to this site, nor should they be reading Scott’s work. With the exception of The Rookie (which is written in a "young adult" format, as was pointed out to me recently), all of our FDO’s print novels are decidedly adult in nature. Without exception all of the podcasts are intended for adults. WE are adults.

I would not drop the f-bomb or any other swear word while strolling down Main Street in Disneyland, but this ain’t Disneyland folks. As a matter of fact, this is pretty much the anti-Disneyland. Gen. Siglerisimo talks about people getting ripped apart, about folks being cooked and eaten while their comrades watch, and about ex-college football linebackers shooting 7-year old girls in the face with a .45. Mickey and Goofy wouldn’t last five minutes in the Siglerverse.

**UNdead/GirlCo – We’ll eat your brains and look good doing it.**

Profile photo of Vaney

couldn’t have said it better myself!

• Proud Member of GirlCo, Evil Incarnate, and Pastry Princess
    Profile photo of Belladonna420

I also am not offended.  Cool 

So I guess I wasn’t offended. And if there are any youngsters on the boards, then they’ve already heard the "bad language" in the podcasts….Parents should know where their kids are going on the web. I wouldn’t mind my 15 yo being on this site, but the 11 yo is not allowed.

That said, I agree that if you are using for emphasis or just conversationally, that’s ok. But don’t be calling people names, expecially the "c-word" 

(Once slapped my best friend’s boyfriend for calling me that… it felt good.) 

Profile photo of Pons Matal

KISS’d by Sigler. Pusher twice over. UNdead Advisor to the King Of UNdead for Sigler.

[flickr-photo:id=3718433600,size=m]

Profile photo of Jason Williamson

I think if you where running around and posting filth filled post that people would have a legitamite  problem. I myself have never been offended by you or anyone else on here. And I would let these people know " I appreciate your criticism fuck you very much!"

Jason (Jayguana)

Festina Lente

Profile photo of Gmork

Considering the reason I am present here is because I listen to a podcast author that insists on calling me a "pussy" in his warning introduction to each episode, this question seems kinda mute.

Never mind that there is a "F**K YES" and a "F**K NO" blog that our beloved FDO posts to.

Point of clarification – imho, swearing isn’t offensive here. That being said, if someone were to swear in order to flame someone on the board then I’m not cool with that.  I know that can be kinda gray in these online lives we live, but I think the people here have been pretty adult about it all and ocnsidering there isn’t a ton of moderation going on around here, it’s pretty admirable. 

Oh and also, for the record…I’m totally ok with the FDO calling the audience pussies in his intro.  Wink

It was recently brought to my attention that I have been typing too many "f" bombs. To me it seems ludicrous that folks on the Scott Sigler boards would be offended by this, but want to know how y’all feel about it. Do I really need to adjust the way I talk? Or is this simply a case of a small minority having delicate sensibilities?

And if we are censoring ourselves, which swear words are acceptable and which ones aren’t? I don’t want to type any of them here for fear that I might offend someone. If it is a matter of quantity, how does one know when one has reached his or her quota for a given time period? I do want to get honest feedback. So please let me know how you feel about it.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.