This topic contains 10 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by Avatar of Jo-Ann Caputo Jo-Ann Caputo 6 years, 3 months ago.

Anyone else notice the similarities between Nocturnal and Ann Rice?

I agree with JP. To be very honest no I didn’t think that Nocturnal has reminded my of Anne Rice’s work. You can read any story and find something like it in another book if that is what you are looking for.

thanx ya’ll– i’m starting with interview with a vampire, so far it’s pretty hip.ΔΔΔJust because I kiss the prettiest girls and drive my truck too fast, why does everbody want to kick my ass

I’d recommend the vampire series, but completely agree with Butiobait. Rice is a very different kind of storyteller than Sigler. Some of the vampire books hold you from start to finish, while others really slow down. I was in the same boat with Butiobait (like that?–tracks with your picture Butiobait!), finding I continued to read a few of them to find out how they’d tie in and end. My personal opinion is that Rice gets way too bogged down in the backstory, context, etc. She gets lost there sometimes. Definitely worth picking up the first of the series at the library and checking it out though. If you want to pay for books, there are others I’d recommend going after first.

Shadygirl can comment smartly on Rices other series about the witches.

– Utinam logica falsa tuam philosophiam totam suffodiant! (May faulty logic undermine your entire philosophy!)

‘The Vampire Lestat" (#2) is a good book, and well as "Interview with a Vampire" (#1) (Yeah JP, I did read alla them…).

"The Vampire Armand" (#3) looses some of the steam, but since one has followed the characters thus far, it is still somewhat compelling.  However, by the time one makes it to "Queen of the Damned." (#4) the whole thing has gone downhill fast, and I personally felt that the only reason I was continuing to read it was to find out what the final outcome was (not really worth the effort).

Shadygirl, I think you are dead on in your assessment.  Exploring these differences was the reason I started this thread.

JP and Butio>> would either of you recommend any of anne rice’s work   thanxΔΔΔ  Just becase I kiss the prettiest girls and drive my truck too fast, why does everbody want to kick my ass

Pretty cool gig. Lestat was one messed up dude. It wasn’t clear to me if you’ve powered through the entire series or not, but it becomes very clear why he’s such a disaster. I honestly think you’re on target with the familiarity of the story (8 times a week!!!) and as a result, seeing strong themes from that book in other works. (8 times a week!!!) It’s kind of like my problem with Fletch and the Blues Brothers. I worked in a movie theater for years and saw both these movies A LOT. Now, I see opportunities all the time to relate things to them. Of course, that lets me laugh at a lot of things, but sadly, I know most other folks won’t get the connection that happened in my mind. Just too familiar with the stories…

– Prospice tibi–ut Gallia, to quoque in tres partes dividaris.

I work backstage at the theatre, and a year or two ago I was working on the stage adaptation of ‘Lestat’.

One could take the song from that production that Lestat sings to the night children and have Rex sing it to the nocturnals, and it would fit seamlessly into context.

Perhaps I’m remembering that production (which closed within a month after opening on Broadway) more than the books themselves, when one is subjected to the retelling of a story eight times a week for several weeks, things start to blur, and the final stage product was certainly different from the original text (novel).

My wife and I read the series of books in the last year. I don’t disagree that there are similarities, but they’re only surface. I think you see more there than there is. But the cool thing is we can agree to disagree on this point. You read it for work? Gotta ask–what do you do?

but seriously, if you haven’t read Lestat in the last decade, (I’m a little ashamed to admit that I have, but it was for work, if you can believe it) there is a similar thread there…

Come on, you sound like you’re just looking for a reason to pick on the author or story. Historians talk about hermits and monks being reclusive and even living in caves and catacombs. I guess Sig’s copying them as well. Anne Rice wasn’t the first to write about vampires, so I guess she’s even more guilty and deserving of your criticism–and she’s actually writing about vampires, not just some other form of nocturnal creature. Sigler never suggests these are vampires. Sharing a theme or element within a story doesn’t equate to “straight out of…” If you don’t like it, don’t listen.

I mean the FDO has always poo-pooed vampires and such, and I know he explains everything with his X, Y, Zed shit, but come on! Immortals living in the catacombs, being told they don’t have to live in the filth and shadows to hunt on the humans above by a new ‘leader’ who tells them to clean themselves up is straight out of ‘Lestat.’  Am I the only one to notice this or am I whacked? 

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.