This topic contains 29 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by Avatar of Pons Matal Pons Matal 5 years, 8 months ago.

Any other Junkies out there build their own Computers?

The new board only supports 2-2gig ddr3 2000mhz stick of memory. You can you more add more but then you have to loosing the memory timing and also drop the mem bus speed to make it stable. Thus loosing the 2000mhz bus speed advantage.  I am thinking about adding 4-2gig sticks of ddr3 1600mhz ram instead. All the timings will be tight and I wont have to adjust the mem bus speed. I want EVGA to verify that before I do it.

"Chief informationless officer of the office of knows nothing" Any questions? :)

• Easy – most and fastest.
  • But – can you afford it?
  • Nobody ever had their machine slow down for having TOO much RAM
  • Sergeant and Fire Team Leader, X-ray company, DOMREC.

I’ve got my new motherboard, waiting to hear back from tech support for best possible combination of ram to use.  Then next week I purchase the QX9770 processor! So If you dont hear from for awhile after next week, I will most likely be pulling my hair out wondering why the damn thing wont boot! Though it should, just saying…     :)

"Chief informationless officer of the office of knows nothing" Any questions? :)

• That I re-installed my podcatchers and my podcast feeds. Also tested them and Contagious part 10 came down. That’s a relief.
  • Disk Doctor, and it couldn’t find anything wrong with the fat.
  • I’m rebuilding the drive the hard way. Format the drive and start over.
  • The data files are all recoverable, so there you go.

into the phone.  It’s always the ones who thinks they know what they’re doing that screw things up the worst.  I’ve basically quiet with computers, it was my job for so long and I worked at a computer help desk that I just got burned out.  Now I teach history, it doesn’t seem to change as much. 

"I kill people, I don’t murder them, look it up Sweats!" Agent Celie Booth

And you wont believe how I solved it. I ran Chkdsk/f and while running it started deleting a crap load of invalid FAT table entrys. I thought crap, I’ve done it now. It ran for about an hour and then started restoring the corrupted entrys in the FAT! And to my suprise it booted up and worked like there had never been a problem. Dont know if this will help in your case, but it may be worth a try.

• Shop threw their hands up and re-formatted the drive.
  • restored back to the Feb 1 backup last night
  • it failed to boot again this morning, but I have managed to get it back into safe mode.
  • copying critical data to 5GB PCMCIA drive now, and will alternate with 4GB USB to move all data to work machine, then reformat and reload drive. ARGHHHHH.
  • The shop claims the FAT files were corrupted.
  • apparently the backup was taken after the corruption?
  • will try norton utilities to fix FAT files AFTER I finish unloading data.

deleting the windows system directory!  That made me laugh.  But all of my family is the same way.  I told them "don’t delete ANYTHING unless you clear it with me first"!!

"Well. I’ll tell you what. You gonna kick it with me. Or I’m gonna kick you out. What you think of that?" Sister Mary Clarence 

My family is always calling me about this that or the other. I had one sister call me and told me her PC wouldn’t boot. I asked her what was the last thing she did. She said nothing really, just deleted some files. I said which files would those be? She said the ones under the windows system directory, she said she didn’t use any of them so she wanted to clean up her drive! True story! Needless to say it was a complete reinstall. Now I have a brother in IT so it cuts me some slack, because I say call your other brother he can help you! :)

Never I repeat never tell your parents you know anything about computers, let alone that you will build them one.  They just now quiet asking to fix there screw ups 8 years later.  Now I’m lazy and just buy what I want from the store.  Plus it doesn’t help that I literally live in BFE with narly a computer store in sight.  Oh well. 

"I kill people, I don’t murder them, look it up Sweats!" Agent Celie Booth

to recover and re-install your backup. You don’t realize how much apart of your life your PC (laptop, Mac, ect..) is and how much of your life is stored on your PC until it dies!

• Computer went to the shop today. She no boot
  • Looks like a software issue, and I’m hoping for a quick fix
  • Full increemental backup ran last night! Full Full backup ran the first of the month.

Excellent choice to go wireless. I have one and everyone in the house can print to it. Went from 3 to 1 printer and no connecting cables to boot!

*blushes* I got so frustrated with it…I bought a wireless one :)

–Gmork (MP, CA, WC, TG, MoGC, AAGC, PWTG, TBG)

Are you having trouble with actually connecting the all in one to the desktop of is it driver/software related?

<tard>I’ve got a dead HP desktop cause the fan died and I tried to replace it and was totally out of my league.  Then there is an HP ink jet all in one printer that is in perfectly working order but I can’t figure out how to hook it up to my Dell desktop.</tard> :(

–Gmork (MP, CA, WC, TG, MoGC, AAGC, PWTG, TBG)

The youngest gets the oldest!

I built my old Pentium 4 box a few years ago, and am now working with a 2.4 Ghz Penryn Macbook.

My only problem is that things weren’t flowing they were gushiing faster than I could build them!!!!!

"Well. I’ll tell you what. You gonna kick it with me. Or I’m gonna kick you out. What you think of that?" Sister Mary Clarence 

• I would get a new machine, my old one would go to my wife, her old one would go to her mother, her old one would go to my niece…..
  • See, it flows downhill…..
  • My employer’s outlet store
  • Rebuilt machines from the manufacturer as a special, they had a whole bunch of machine all priced at $200 and employees got 20% off that. Had to get ther eearly at lunch one day and stand in line – and even then I got the last one….
  • My 1 TB drive was the same way – $200 minus 20%

for the 2 yrs I lived in Katy, I never made it into a Fry’s! I now use the online site newegg.com to order parts and acces. for my PC’s. They seem to have good pricing on name brand parts. 

about 4 years ago I built 3 (desk tops) different one.  Within a few month my Mom, Sister and Nephew and confiscated them all.  Now I have two laptops.  One is a Dell the other is an HP.  I was a little afraid to buy an HP but it did come with the 64 bit encryption and so far hasn’t given me any troubles.  Since I have a hard time telling my family they can’t have my desktops, I have stopped building them!!!!!!  Also don’t remember what components they had but Fry’s is one of my best friends!!!!

Makes a very reliable laptop.  Nice deal for your wifes machine for $180.

• After some stuff that happened years ago, I won’t buy PCs from HP.
  • For laptops I prefer Toshiba.
  • Got my wife a very similar system, used. I have XP Prof, she has XP Home. Hers is 3.4 GHZ (hyperthreading) to my 3.6 GHZ. She has 100GB drive to my 80GB (plus she has the 160GB network drive). And her DVD R/W is only single layer. All other specs the same. Not bad for $180.

for a machine thats 4 yrs old.  The Hyper Threading processors are great. I’ve got on HP that has the hyper threading and it works much better than the dual core I have running on a Dell running @ 3g 

You lost me at "Hey Junkies"

The Platypus is a Semi-Aquatic Mammal

The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, ‘I’m from the government and I’m here to help.’  

- Ronald Reagan

• I went to the laptop camp a while ago, because I need to take it with me. So I finally had a machine built for me a while back (almost 4 years now) and here are the specs:
  • 3.6 GHZ Hyper Threading with 2GB memory
  • 80GB drive (plus a 5GB PCMCIA card, and a 1TB USB drive
  • DVD DL R/W
  • 17″ monitor 1440 x 900 with ATI Mobilty Radeon X600 video card
  • 3 USB 2.0, plus an external Video plug.
  • Still runs circles around some machines

Hey Junkies, just wanted to know if any of you have ever gotten tired of the choices of PC out there and have taken the step to build your own?  I got fed up with available options with PC a couple years ago and decided to build one of my own. 

My Current system is:

BFG 690I SLI motherboard, Q6600 processor w/a FSB of 1066 @ 2.4G that is water cooled, 4gig of Dominator SLI Ready EEP ram, 1.5 TB of disk storage, Two Nvida 9600GT(OC) graphics card SLI’d togther in PCIE 1.0 slots. IN a Cooler Master 690 case.

In this configuration I can run Crysis (even though I cant play it) with all attributes on High. I can OC this system to run at 3.7G with the Graphics cards OC’d by 5% and memory speed @ 1066

I am currently building a new PC using the EVGA 790I Ultra SLI motherboard, QX9770 processor w/a FSB of 1600 @ 3.2G, 4gig (maybe 8 gig) of DD3 2000 SLI EEP 2.0 Ram

I will be reuseing the Graphics cards putting them in the PCIE 2.0 slots on the new board. (More data bandwidth than the PCIE 1.0) and also reusing my current storage and DVDR/W and CDR/W drives.

I’m hoping this baby will scream at rated operating speeds and go beyond hyper when OC’d. I also hope it will remain top of the line for at least a couple of years! :)

How about it Junkies, What do you got?

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.