This topic contains 28 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by Avatar of Arioch Morningstar Arioch Morningstar 4 years, 4 months ago.

Ancestor UGV Pimp thread

———————————————————-

• Tangent & Funky Name Brother; Founder of the Gutter Brethren; Frequent [flickr-photo:id=3274749401,size=m]

I’m pretty bad about maintaining them though. The one I contribute to most frequently is Arioch’s Ramblings:

http://ariochmorningstar.wordpress.com/

———————————————————-

• Tangent & Funky Name Brother; Founder of the Gutter Brethren; Frequent [flickr-photo:id=3274749401,size=m]

I want to learn more Sadock, Do you have a blog? I am thinking of starting one up when I work on the action scene I’m gonna shoot sometime this summer/fall.

—————————————————————————————————————————–

Need more Magnus in your Diet? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJ8Vnuxj7XM

…….via social media, maintaining a blog is mandatory.

Make sure you take the time to tag your posts with keywords, though. If you don’t, no onw will see them. Tags is the primary indexing tool search engines use to find things that are relevant to what they are looking for. I think. Still learning this SEO nonsense. I do know that my blog began getting random but relevant views from non-family and friends once I began tagging my posts appropriately.

I’d also recommend using selective tweets via Facebook as another tool to get your blog seen. It will intrigue some folks who follow you on Twitter and a few of your FB friends to come check out what your blog is all about. I could keep going, but I’m not sure how much you actually care…..

———————————————————-

I posted another filmakers work, the people who did #11 and #10, VERY cool people, just as cool as Brent. So I supported them through facebook, but I don’t have a blog, maybe I should get one, make it like a diary for my work.

—————————————————————————————————————————–

Need more Magnus in your Diet? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJ8Vnuxj7XM

Almost all illegal except for back alleys and in the dark corners of the world where people fade away.

I’ve blogged on my own site about it for promotion.

http://www.brentweichsel.com/blog/2010/6/17/tell-two-people.html

Anybody else?

….to improve their art. Scott or A often ask me about stuff because they know I don’t pull my punches.

———————————————————-

———————————————————-

I know Evo and I both did in support of Brent, but I was curious if anyone else had.

———————————————————-

….but that one seemed particularly heinous. Almost as if the director went out of his way to aim for the antithesis of the characters he was portraying. Who knows? Maybe he was. But it didn’t work for me. Looking at view counts, it obviously works for a whole lot of people.

———————————————————-

I had to do alot of begging to get the equipment and the studio to shoot it. Luckly I didn’t have to pay for any of it. Had I been forced to there would have been no way that I could have shoot any the video. Also all of the software to edit on was provided by the same people with the gear.. So that was a huge help

Sadock,

The lighting was on purpose, and was my first experiment. My video equipment is very run of the mill and really couldn’t work with the low light as well as I wanted it too. I wanted to create a look that was very isolating, just these two guys in a small space to raise the intensity of the scene. But in the end it got too over exposed, part of the learning process

All the actors where my friends. The older guy has been doing role playing for years, and so has some experince in thinking through the mind of someone else, and to be honest, a lot of his natural personality carried over.

Funny, I really liked my magnus, he just is very new to acting, But I loved all the acting in the shots where he leaned on Clayton. Those where some of my favorite.

I’m still working hard on the camera work, trying to be dynamic with my shots, but learning hot to make them smoother and more stable, going to try and build my own steady cam soon.

Again thank you for the review, I really appreaciate it.

But finding the right “looking” person and finding someone who can act out your direction are completely different things, governed by completely different budgets.

This is, after all, a fan-based video project.

Gutter Sistren whipping boy, innoventor of words, Life Coach to the Damned.

And since I met Brent at Balticon and #24 is kicking everyone’s ass already, I’m giving Brent my endorsement.

#13 had serious casting issues IMHO. It totally shattered the glass wall for me. I just couldn’t buy Magnus as a mid-eastern gangster and Clayton as a twenty something college jock.

———————————————————-

It’s one of the strongest contenders for that script in my view. Much better than #13 IMHO. I gave you a view/vote.

Pros:

• You were the only director I’ve seen thus far who cast a believable Clayton Detwieler. My huge issue with #13 was the casting. You had Magnus cast as a mid-eastern gangster type interrogating a college frat boy. It just didn’t work for me considering how big of an ANCESTOR fan I am.
    • That old man can fucking act. Not sure where you found him, but he does a kick ass job

Cons:

• Whoever you cast as Magnus is a little weak in the acting department. I don’t recall specifics, but he didn’t pull off the role that well.
    • Your camera work is a bit shaky and the lighting seemed a bit overexposed IMHO. If that was on purpose, cool. No idea if that was an artistic decision on your part.

———————————————————-

And I’ll go see if I’ve checked out #16 as well. Referring to them by # with 24 up is probably the best way, but it’s still a bit confusing.

———————————————————-

I also liked no 13 alot at first. Then I guess I was thinking I was just more romanced by the production value, but I’m not as in love with their version of magnus, It felt so .. gangster film to me and I guess I wanted to see Ancestor the movie come to life in these vids. However Picardi knows his stuff. I just wanted a different flavor.

Brents work is really tight and very good. The visual quality is great. I want access to better equipment so bad. I wish you luck Brent.

If anyone gets a chance please check out my strongest work.

#16 Where is Sara

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJ8Vnuxj7XM

This is not a drive for hits as much as I’d like to see honest opinions, I want to learn as much about this process as possible and too see what poeple thought, positive or negative.

PS Brent I remeber Cheating Bastard, It was very cool man. I’m gonna start following you. I’m an aspiring film maker myself.

I still haven’t made it through 100% of them. Just kind of watching the ones that catch my eye when I have time.

———————————————————-

I was planning to do the same thing, but ran out of time. When is the deadline for viewing/voting again?

———————————————————-

———————————————————-

…..Brent’s is my favorite so far. There’s one other one that I really like too. I haven’t watched all of them. There are several that I watch a few seconds and go “Next!”

———————————————————-

———————————————————-

It just annoyed me to the point I couldn’t even finish watching it. I’m intrigued by what everyone is talking about with rewrites and such, but the animatics give me a headache.

———————————————————-

Hey everybody. I’m really glad that you guys seem to be liking my video. I don’t know how many of you guys may remeber. But a few years ago I was the Junkie that Sigler had on and I created the short film “Cheating Bastard” out of one of general siglerismo’s scripts. Ended up winning gold at the scholastic art awards (I was in high school at the time)

I shot this film entirely in a single studio. The stuffed animals were all donated via art teachers, and elementary school teachers in the area. Shot it on the sony EX-1 which records in the XDCAM format. I had a 1080p version of the film but I didn’t have enough space on my server to put up that version hence just the 720p version which is currently up on youtube.

As a lot of people guessed it was chocolate syrup that we used for the blood.

After we shoot it I edited the entire thing in Final Cut Pro. Had to do a little bit of motion work to fix the shots slightly (off balance, to much in frame. etc etc) After the whole thing was editing with the music added. I then sent the video to Color and did the black and white. We planned on turning it black and white the entire time.

Personally I am a massive fan of the high contrast look. Some of you guys may have seen my Phil Rossi music video. If not just youtube it it’ll pop up.

Put it then through Compressor for a proper compression for uploading to be converted to flash.

Hope you guys found that interesting. If you want to send me a few views my way that would be mighty swell as well. Also tell your friends because that will make you a badass.

http://bit.ly/cD9UOA

Honestly, I didn’t like the first one very much (the machima one) chiefly because it really changed the script. I know the instructions said to take liberties as needed, but I personally felt like too much liberty was taken.

I absolutly love coxbrother’s sock puppet video. For as simple as it could have been, it was pretty freaking artistic. And there’s some awesome laugh-out-loud moments associated with it.

#13 is probably my favorite so far. Very nicely done.

Gutter Sistren whipping boy, innoventor of words, Life Coach to the Damned.

Yeah, You know I thought putting them in the forums was a good promotional idea, but I didn’t want to be rude about it. I like the way your going about it. Thanks. You already mentioned mine other thread, so I’ll just look forward to the other creators posts.

I haven’t had a chance to check these out yet but I am definitely intrigued. I’ll be catching up this weekend but I am looking forward to aall this junkie goodness in video form!
    ———–
    Gmork – Wiki Czar and Thwackacutioner

———————————————————-

I saw Snow Dreams had tried a couple times to start a thread with links to their videos, but I think it’s much more appropriate to have a thread that’s wide open to everyone. I know Scott posted links for the first nine in the F**K YEAH!! Blog, but feel free to pimp your video here as well. Also, feel free to comment on any of the videos. Love them or hate them as long as you don’t get slanderous or nasty.

My current favorite is the one of Jian’s Dream by Brent Weichsel. He’s in slot #6 right now in views, so if you like his video http://bit.ly/beYHIU please watch it until the end so your vote counts! That goes for any of the videos, actually. If you don’t let them finish running, they don’t register a play count.

A really handy place to check out all of the videos and the latest view counts is

http://www.youtube.com/user/scottsigler#p/c/C2D91CD211737AC0/19/bwgDQWAVNoQ

along the right hand side bar. Figured I’d toss that link in here to make life easy for everyone.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.