This topic contains 30 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by Avatar of Gunbunny13B Gunbunny13B 3 years, 5 months ago.

Ancestor Questions

@BigJohn(MC) – Thank you for the quick response. I saw something about some of the books being set according to thier hardcover release dates but wasn’t sure. I appreciate the help.

Mostly in the ancestor prequel chapters, which are not in the print version of the book. I believe Scott is putting the books in the Siglerverse timeline as they appear in hardcover. So therefore, Infected and Contagious have already happened, and then Ancestor. Next up will be Nocturnal.

It seems that the Kissyman stories are earlier in the timeline, as possibly the earliest in the Siglerverse, and the Rookieverse books are at the far end.

This is kinda counter to the original release order of his books; Earthcore will be re-released, and will happen in the timeline after Ancestor. This is why we are getting a sneak preview of Patrick O’Doyle in Ancestor, as a character who will appear later.

For what’s been written so far, I would put it in this order:

Kissyman & Screamin’ Jesse Dupree – Kissyman & The Gentleman – Infected – Contagious – Ancestor – The Crypt – The Rookie – Title Fight – The Starter

and soon we’ll get Nocturnal in between Ancestor and The Crypt, and add Mur’s story after The Starter, and then follow it up with The All-Pro.

is that the kind of thing you were looking for?

Gutter Sistren whipping boy, innoventor of words, Life Coach to the Damned.

I was racking my memory for any time line mentions in Ancestor and came up blank. Does anyone know where Ancestor falls in teh SIglerverse Timeline and/or an approximate year for the story? I could research that myself, but figured it would be easier to ask the Junkies. Thank you for your assistance and sorry if this has been asked and answered previously. I have been away and playing a huge game of catchup to everything in my life.

I think the same.

page 166

She screamed… and grabbed… the broken pool cue,” Gunther muttered, leaning so close to the monitor that he had to turn his head a little from left to right. “Never again, Sansome said… never again… will you harm my love. He jabbed the cue down… like an axe… and the point punched through Count Darkon’s… unprotected… chest.

It says she grabbed the cue and then he jabbed the cue down. And who Sansome it is? Edward or Margarit? Is there a typo or I am missing something?

Yeah, I would have.

it’s the same thing, but add in a hot dog bun and drinking a beer.

Check out urbandictionary.com for a more detailed explanation.

I found that reacharound is when someone gives you a handjob from behind. Is Texas reachround something different?

page 130

“The term salt of the earth didn’t go far enough to describe Detweiler. More like the rock on which that salt might crystallize.”

The term salt of the earth may have different meanings. Could anybody help me about the meaning in the specific phrase?

Thank you for your detailed answer.

The residents of the island (Clayton, Sven, the Harvey’s) knew the structure as a lodge because it was a hotel before Genada purchased it, while others who didn’t know the structure as a hotel only see it for what it is…a mansion. It’s almost a subconscious habit for Clayton to refer to it, nostalgically, as the lodge.

I think it shows the subtley in the characters, that they sees the structure as something that it was rather than what it is the present. It reinforces why Clayton, in particular, hasn’t left the island, even though he hates Genada.
    ———–
    Gmork – Wiki Czar and Thwackacutioner

a wooden shack with a tin roof.
    ———–

page 307

“Call da lodge.”

I guess the correct is “Call da mansion.”

You have been so helpful so I am obliged to call it tin shack! You are the proud godfather!

but apperently in the Siglerverse, this is not always the caseTongue out

really though i argee. i was just kidding.

lets make it tin. then when it’s published i can tell everyone i know that it was my idea, and it was published

rock on!

I know the thing about the shack is a small detail that the author missed. I just noticed it. But it has to be tin or wooden! The page number has nothing to do with it. It is the same shack in both occasions.

guess it all depends on what page your on

i’m thinking of getting me a greek copy of this book once you fix everything

Now I get it. Thanks a lot. Of course it is not easy to convey this message to another language, but I will do my best!

It’s a play on the infinate monkey theorem

check it out

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infinite_monkey_theorem

also typo “…full of monkeys texting out the complete works…”

page 315

Nothing quite like being thirty feet off the ground in a tin shack in the dead of winter.”

page 359

“Twenty below zero and he was in a wooden shack with only a piece-of-shit kerosene heater to keep him alive.”

It refers to the shack on top of the watch tower.

page 96

“The odds of another lethal transgenic virus breaking out right now were about as high as a cell phone store full of monkeys testing out the complete works of Shakespeare in the next twenty-four hours.”

I cannot see the connection between a cell phone store and works of Shakespeare. I mean the joke would make sense if the monkeys were in a bookstore or a library. But in a cell phone store? I dont get it.

Thank for your responses. This book is a little difficult for a non-native speaker. A lot of slang!

well, thats great! Us english natives will try to answer anything we can. Just go easy with that math! If the author doesn’t need to know how to divide then neither do the readers. Wink

Perhaps now you have to recalculate about when I am going to finish the book! Just kidding!

Actually the reason I ask so many questions is that I am translating the book for a foreign publisher.

But it ain’t you

Good eye amakord!

guess thats what happens when you “whip out” a rewrite for your new big-time publisherTongue out

Another question regarding mathematics.

page 7

“The 1918 epidemic killed fifty million people. World population was just two billion people back then. Now it’s almost seven billion. Same kiillrate today you’re looking at seventy million dead.”

Using simple maths today’s killings would be 175 million. Am I missing something?

1. Now, she had been a looker = she was beautiful

2. Too bad she wouldn’t put out = she will not have sex with you

3. The little tease = she will make it seem like she will have sex with you, but she will not

on a side note, i predict amarkord will finish this novel on October 28th. any takers? who can get closest to actual date without going over?

click this link to the Wikipedia entry for Doris Day. She was an actress and the article has a picture of her….so you can determine for yourself if she was a “looker” Wink
    ———–

a beautiful woman. Doris Day was attractive. She also sang a song QUE SERA SERA which means “whatever will be, will be. So he is saying that she is beautiful but that you can’t get past first base (if you know what I mean). In otherwords, if you got a kiss from her at the end of a date you were lucky.

[flickr-photo:id=3938763689,size=m] and friend of GirlCo’s official mascot

But I also have to say that I don’t know shit about written english.

Si Vis Pocum, Para Bellum
    Jay-Gu-Ana, owner of the Sala Intrigue

page 277

Que sera sera, as Doris Day had said. Now, she had been a looker. Too bad she wouldn’t put out. The little tease.

I don’t understand the part in bold. Doris Day is a looker? And what does it mean?

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.