This topic contains 31 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by Profile photo of Marvin Long Marvin Long 4 years, 7 months ago.

Adult Version of "the Rookie": would people be interested?

• Profile photo of Marvin Long

…by the alleged “young adultness” of The Rookie. It’s a great example of how fucked-up our concept of “adult” is here in the US. (I’m reminded of the idiot critics of Kick Ass who are angry that the 11-year old girl cusses up a storm but don’t mind that she’s killing people left and right.) Considering what so many of the main characters do in the book, it seems astonishingly silly that the story can be reclassified for the sake of a few thinly coded swear words.

So as far as I’m concerned, The Rookie is a fully adult book with a few coy edits designed to allow parents to give the book to kids with a clean conscience.* I hope that trend continues.

*Or maybe I don’t read enough YA fiction?

– Anticitizen42

Profile photo of Insignificant Blood Splatter

But at the same time, there’s always the podcast if that’s what I want. And making it young adult opens it up to more buyers, which is also a smart move. Of course, I would have enjoyed the adult version, but the young adult version makes sense. And, either way, I’m getting some goooooood Sigler crack. :)

“Urban legends go well with parmesan and horror. In fact their name is conveniently one and the same: Stevie.” {UNdead GirlCo Knight for Sigler}

Profile photo of Jason Williamson

When I first posted I wasn’t really thinking about what I was writing. I now realize that it looks bad in more then a few ways. I would never stop reading any author simply because they chose to clean up the language. And curse free verse is not a bad thing considering most of the authors I read don’t get an R rating on there books. I like what Scott does now and I would read or listen to almost anything he may put out.

And Im sorry if anyone thought I was being a fair weather fan with my comments. Im prone to just being stupid sometimes.

On one knee I beg your forgiveness everyone.

Humbly yours,

Jayguana

Profile photo of sadock

btw, I love the new avatar. You’re just obsessed with sharp pointy teeth in general, aren’t you?

[flickr-photo:id=3274749401,size=m]

A life vacant of laughter is not worth exerting the effort it takes to live it.

Profile photo of sadock

It’s not like Scott will be writing two different versions of each book; one for ‘casting and one for print. That would just be silly.

Profile photo of Gmork

emoticons

(Just for you sadock)

Profile photo of Shirley Bruce

maybe not every time but often!!! Wink That is until GirlCo has enough and gets their chicken scissors out!!!!! Cry

[flickr-photo:id=3938763689,size=m] and friend of GirlCo’s official mascot

Profile photo of John Ellsworth

However, I’m not put off by the Young Reader version. I figured that , if I wanted the adult version, I could catch the podiobook. The production off the audio version was great. Looking forward to all that the FDO has coming up.

Profile photo of Belladonna420

Ok then.

Pusher, Co-Founder of the Gutter Sistren & [flickr-photo:id=3938763689,size=m]

Thats all I wouldn’t have even noticed how it sounded if I wasn’t bored and going through all the current threads. I would never forsake the FDO, just teen books. I dont blame him for the switch, they just dont rate real high on my need to have list. And like I said “I hope the Podcasts don’t go PG”

Thats all. Nothing else to see here folk just keep moving.

Festina Lente (Make Haste Slowly)

Jayguana

Profile photo of sadock

Just logged into ours for the first time and was amazed that there were actually people in it.

At least I think there were. Not positive. Didn’t stay long at all. Cest la vie. Guess it’s another Baskin Robbins thing.

Profile photo of sadock

Profile photo of sadock

Besides, it gives my inner Grammar Nazi a playful outlet Cool

And when I’m really lucky, Gmork will come along and post a Dalek emoticon. I still haven’t learned how to post from photobucket or I might do it. That remains the most awesome emoticon I’ve ever seen.

Are you on the guest list or the menu??? (The M&Ms in the background) Wink

Profile photo of Belladonna420

You’re time here is done??? You’re dropping the FDO as your Dark Overlord and Savior cuz he’s cleaning up the language in the Rookie?!?!?!?

Pusher, Co-Founder of the Gutter Sistren & [flickr-photo:id=3938763689,size=m]

Profile photo of Rich Bennett

version is not going to put me off from buying the rest of the books in the series. Still it is nice to have scott tell us the uncensored version in his own voice.

Richno3…….out

Profile photo of Kate Cheevers

I gave my 12 year old nephew a copy of the Rookie and he loved it! Better yet, his mom and dad read it too and now I’ve got them into Infected and Contagious. I’ll have them on here as new junkies in no time!

Faith – that which enables us to believe things we know to be untrue (Bram Stoker’s Dracula)

Profile photo of Beth_Ailis

You still ailing? You missed some big fun in the chat room last night.

Why yes, apples. How did you know? [flickr-photo:id=4347154616] Pusher and member of the Gutter Sistren

Profile photo of Jeffrey Moore

I would be interested in this, but not today. I really like the idea of re releasing it in a few years with some added stuff.

I’d rather see Sigler put his energy into getting new content out rather than rehashing something that has already been done 3 times (podcast, print and recast).

That being said…..LOVE THIS BOOK and when I read it, his tat doesn’t say Shuck.

Undead Champion, HM and Pusher …. Start Cracking with Crack!

No power in the Verse can stop me.

People often misspell definitely as definately and everytime someone does, a comment like that gets made. Just ignore it. We all make that mistake occasionally.

If I wanted to read teen books i would buy twilight. I hope that podcast dont go PG

Jayguana

Profile photo of Eric Parker

Is gmork’s enemy young adult versions of awesome books?

Profile photo of sadock

Profile photo of sadock

The only reason THE ROOKIE ‘cast is still Mature Audiences is because Scott’s too damn lazy to re-record it.

Well, I guess it could have something to do with him having a slightly full schedule. Nah. He’s just a slacker.

Profile photo of Renee Jordan

While it would be nice to have uncensored versions, it’s definitely not necessary for the franchise. I get what the DOoM Team is doing, and it is pretty freaking brilliant. Hook the adults with the podiobook & they’ll buy the print version regardless of the minor language changes. Besides, what kind of Dark Overlord would our FDO be if he gave everyone everything they wanted? I choose to think of it as Scott’s little way of letting the rest of us know just who is in charge up in here. ;)

**All this plan is missing is a giant freaking laser in space.”**

AlphaGirl,

I totally get why you’re doing that, not only does it extend Scott’s Audience, but it allows young adult’s to have a interesting/fun story which is always good; Hell I wish I had the Rookie to read when I was a kid. Maybe at some point you guys could think of releasing a “special edition” or something which would be an uncensored edition. I think that there is definately enough interest which would potentially net Dark Overlord Media additional profits.

Just a suggestion. I know you and the FDO have a grand scheme (even prior to the rolling of the plaid tanks). I know you both understand we mean no disrespect. We really do appreciate even having the opppotunity to read and share in Scott’s work.

Looking forward to Ancestor and the Starter

Profile photo of Rich Bennett

unaware that the book I purchased was a young adult version. So yes I would like to have an uncensored edition to put in my libary.

Richno3…….out

Or $30.

Jayguana

Profile photo of Kate Cheevers

I love the Rookie in print so far (I’m only six chapters in) and I love the way I hear the FDO’s voice in my head while I read it! But I would totally be up for an adult and uncensored version.

Faith – that which enables us to believe things we know to be untrue (Bram Stoker’s Dracula)

Profile photo of Andrew Morton

I’ll buy a few!

Molly McButters is my Homeboy!

Profile photo of Renee Jordan

I have always thought that Scott should have done the “un-censored” version first, but I understand why he went for a young adult version. I’d love to see (and would definitely buy) an “adult” version.

**All this plan is missing is a giant freaking laser in space.”**

Just figured a quick Poll might be interesting. I got my copy of the Rookie and it was not until I read that Quentin’s tattoo read “Shuck You” that this was not quite “The Rookie” I had first listened to. Now I found out later that This was a young adult version of the book released so it was more appropriate for younger people. To that end I have to say I understand where our FDO is coming from. I would agree that the orginal podcasted version had a lot of cursing and graphic content which perhaps is inappropriate for young adults.

That being said, I miss the cursing and graphic content. I miss the commentators talking about planetary nuns at a purist nation rapist convention. I missed all the ‘shits’ and ‘fucks’ and ‘asses’ and the multiple combinations therein. It’s what I have grown to expect from a Sigler novel.

SO! for a new discussion: Would anyone be interested in a non-young-adult version of the book? I personally would buy a copy. How bout it junkies?

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.