This topic contains 19 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by Avatar of Insignificant Blood Splatter Insignificant Blood Splatter 3 years, 11 months ago.

About the Rookie….

• Avatar of Insignificant Blood Splatter

I’m really glad to hear this, because I was pretty lost before Sigler put that out, and I really appreciated it being in there. Twas a little sad it wasn’t posted again with the re-post of _The Rookie_ podcast, so it’s good to hear it’s going up on podiobooks. :3

And ignore my typo in the first post. I meant rules, not rles (or whatever I typed).

“Clever girl.” ~Jurassic Park {GirlCo w/ dreads for Sigler}

It’s become obvious that there are a LOT of you out there who don’t understand American Football, and we here at Døm want to do all we can to facilitate you getting your fix of Sigler Smack.

———————————————————-

• Tangent & Funky Name Brother; Founder of the Gutter Brethren; Frequent [flickr-photo:id=3274749401,size=m]
Avatar of Insignificant Blood Splatter

Before I read _The Rooke_ I really wasn’t into football at all. Didn’t know the rules, didn’t understand it, didn’t care. But I ran out of Sigler crack to listen to, so I figured, why not? . . . I watch football now. xD In the original podcast of The Rookie he did a quick explanation and run through of football and the rles and how it was played that really helped me understand football and _The Rookie_ more and, as a result, I enjoyed it more. So, in my opinion, if you’re a Sigler fan, you’ll most likely enjoy it. But everyone’s different. I’d recommend at least giving it a try and if you don’t like it, then you don’t like it. :3

“Urban legends go well with parmesan and horror. In fact their name is conveniently one and the same: Stevie.” {UNdead GirlCo Knight for Sigler}

Unless there is an unforeseen disaster in the logistics department, audiobooks will go on sale December 3rd, 2010. Don’t ask me about prices et al. That’s not my bailiwick.

———————————————————-

• Tangent & Funky Name Brother; Founder of the Gutter Brethren; Frequent [flickr-photo:id=3274749401,size=m]

Thanks for that, I feel a refersher course and a re-read coming on :D

Death, chaos and mayhem, the music of the night

The FDØ’s own football primer can be found at this link;

American Football Refresher

Gutter Sistren whipping boy, innoventor of words, Life Coach to the Damned.

I will get on it as soon as it’s an audiobook! Your print books unfortunately haven’t invaded the South Korean market yet :)

THey’re both worth the read. If memory serves there were a couple of additional episodes in The Rookie podcast feed that explained the salient points of the game. You don’t need to know it though, it just makes the action that little bit more interesting but you can still understand what’s happening. I’d forgotten it all by the time I read The Starter (I am Irish after all) and it made no difference to me. That’s probably down to the fact that our FDO has, in fact, done his job right.

Death, chaos and mayhem, the music of the night

Get to readin’ THE STARTER already.

I agree with everyone else. I couldn’t care less about football, but the Rookie was great. I can’t speak for the Starter…yet…because I haven’t read it…yet…but I’m confident that will be great as well :)

They’re not just for sacrifice anymore!

I know nothing about sport and, as an Australian, I know even less about American football! I desperately wanted to read The Rookie (and The Starter) because I’m a Sigler fan, but I had some doubts about whether I’d be able to really get into them.

When Scott was in Australia, I asked him whether I would understand The Rookie, given my lack of knowledge about American football. He replied “If I’ve done my job properly, you will”. And I can safely say…he did, and I did.

[flickr-photo:id=4730034487,size=m] ~S&N Bouncer and Official Hitwoman for the Gutter Sistren~

Welcome to the forums, and feel free to come here anytime you like. And keep enjoying all that is Sigler

[flickr-photo:id=5037197887,size=m]

I’ve been lurking here for weeks, working my ass off with lots of OT at work, killer statistics class, and reading forum comments to wake up in the morning before I get my hour long Sigler junkie fix on my commute.

So I just finished Rookie on my way home today, and I remembered seeing this thread and I had to run home like a little girl and comment. I never wanted to know anything about football until 4+ years ago when I started dating a chemical engineering professor at Auburn University (WAR DAMN EAGLE BABY!!!!) Now, I have been through 4 of Scott’s books via podcast in the last 2 months or so, saving this one for last because Starter just came out and I wanted to do them back to back.

Still, I wasn’t convinced that fictional alien football was for me, and I want you to know I put on the first episode, and about a third of the way through it, it was a little tough to keep listening. But I said to myself, “What kind of junkie are you? You know Scott’s got the good shit!” By the time Pine’s troubles came to light, I was finding reasons to leave work so I could listen to a few minutes more while I went to the back, store, etc for work. Listening to the playoff game today, I was cheering in my car!

If you call yourself a real junkie, take a hit. I promise you’ll love it!

I waiting a *long* time to listen to the podcast version of The Rookie. I enjoy football but I didn’t think I would really enjoy fiction involving aliens and football. I couldn’t have been more wrong. While football is a major part of the story, the essence of the plot follows a young man that has a compelling journey to achieve his dream and in that journey he’s challenged physically and mentally but also his values and preconceived notions of life are challenged. This is what I enjoyed the most about the story.

I would encourage you to read it and follow the journey of the characters….you’ll definitely enjoy it. And who knows…you may actually start following the football as well :)
    ———–
    Gmork – Wiki Czar and Thwackacutioner

not really the hugest (american) football fan (although i am developing), but i really enjoyed the book. can’t wait to have time to start the second. i’d highly recommend it for a read, especially if you like other sigler

I’ve never been a football fan and you DO NOT want to miss out on these books! Just think of it….Scott Sigler wrote them. Could they possibly be bad?

The Pure Essence of Randomness, Captain of the Touchback, One-Time Pusher and Proud member of the Gutter Sistren

Read them!!! They are SO MUCH MORE than football books!!! Other non-football fans have loved them, so by all means, give them a try!!!

I was never into football either… until I listened to (then read later) The Rookie. At the very least, you’ll get a good story, but it might also turn you into a football fan.

**Just direct-a your feetza to Daddy Greene’s Pizza!**

Ok, so I LOVE all things Sigler, but I honestly don’t get into football.. Call me a girl.. call me a retard.. call me a retarded girl, I don’t care.. Just answer me this.. If I’m not into football (and really don’t understand the game) will I still enjoy The Rookie and The Starter? They’re the only Sigler books I haven’t read yet. Thanks!

Daisy

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.