This topic contains 32 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by Profile photo of Beth_Ailis Beth_Ailis 5 years, 2 months ago.

A question about the kickers in "The Rookie"

• Profile photo of Beth_Ailis

So the Big Guy is pondering this question again.. He thinks that maybe they manipulated the material that the actual football is made from so that the force dispersal  makes it impossible to kick farther. Something that would prevent any species from kicking more than a 50 yarder… otherwise the field would need to be longer than the traditional 100 yards. If each teams’ kicker could boot a 70-yard FG, that would drastically change the game. (Yeah, he thinks a lot)

Go Steelers! Go Dawgs! Got my signed copy of "The Rookie"

Profile photo of Beth_Ailis

It warmed my little heart to see so many posts for my little question. Laughing

You guys do make a good point about the FGs getting blocked. Hadn’t thought about that.

I once dated a kicker in high school and college — compared to a regular guy he might have looked tough, but not against the behemoths on the field. Also, he was a rotten boyfriend. 

Go Steelers! Go Dawgs! Got my signed copy of "The Rookie"

Profile photo of sadock

I merely followed the thread. It was PerfectDayForDying who mentioned his twigs & berries. Am I wrong in my interpretation? Hmmmm?

[flickr-photo:id=3274749401,size=m]

GirlCo: Quieter than ninja, faster than Sklorno, stronger than Ki, and more devious than the Quyth

Profile photo of sadock

Sklorno blocking kicks, altered angles of trajectory, etc.

GirlCo: Quieter than ninja, faster than Sklorno, stronger than Ki, and more devious than the Quyth

Profile photo of Joseph Cartwright

[flickr-photo:id=3718433600,size=m][flickr-photo:id=3725895360,size=m]

Profile photo of Tyler Morrow

the kicker position would probably be filled by a human or heavy G human. Human’s can kick the ball pretty well and kickers don’t get too much contact, and a heavy G human could kick the shit out of a ball. Although a field goal attempt from the 35 yard line actually ends up being around a 52 yard FG attempt, but I would still think that a heavy G human could kick farther than that.

Profile photo of Belladonna420

I just had a visual of what that might look like!!!Surprised

[flickr-photo:id=3938763689,size=m]

Profile photo of sadock

The illustrator was thinking ahead. His prescience anticipated the Young Adult vesion Cool

Profile photo of sadock

Although it would be interesting to see what Heavy G did to human genitalia

Profile photo of Dave Johnson

I don’t think that they were the lower extremities to which sadock was referring lol

Profile photo of Renee Jordan

OMG where is his twig & berries?!?! 

**UNdead/GirlCo – We’ll eat your brains and look good doing it.**

Profile photo of sadock

………and the thread dies. I hate you Murphy!!! Damn your soul to the Wasp Tank!

Profile photo of sadock

…….as I was putting up the pictures.If the pic is accurate, however, they may have coordination/accuracy issues when using their lower extremities.

I can’t recall if Scott ever specified if El Rahim was a normal G or Heavy G human.

that heavy G humans could kick the ball further than normal g hooms… and with that weight and power they must be able to kick further than 35s 

Profile photo of sadock

Sklorno [flickr-photo:id=279422065,size=m]     Ki  [flickr-photo:id=279422010,size=m]     Heavy G-Human [flickr-photo:id=279421996,size=m]

Quyth Warrior  [flickr-photo:id=279422048,size=m]   or   [flickr-photo:id=307698710,size=m]      Hurrah [flickr-photo:id=307698626,size=m]    

All of these are taken from Scott’s Flickr account so we know they have the FDO’s blessing Cool

I’ve listened to the original podcast of The Rookie several times now, and in all 27 episodes I can think of maybe two or three spots where it sounds like there might have been a minor mistake in audio editing. Even with that, I didn’t pick up on them the first time I listened to it. Not to kiss ass or anything, but you’re really good at that editing thang :)

Just curious, do you do that professionally? 

Profile photo of sadock

I’m not ashamed of it by any means, but I didn’t think it was quite that evident.

Noooo. hehe :) 

Profile photo of sadock

If Sklorno can jump twenty feet up, that means kickers can no longer do the flat kicking style we’re accustomed to. So they have to kick it over the Sklorno. They have to arch their kicks. This would account for increased athleticism and the kicks not being automatically blocked Laughing

Profile photo of sadock

If you’re wiki proficient and have the time, go for it! Lady Gmork does a hell of a job, but she could certainly use some help. Updating wikis takes me a long time and I’m kind of a perfectionist about stuff if you haven’t been able to tell Tongue out

am i wrrng in thinking that sklorno legs are bent the wrong way too?

not seen the artwork yet so i am only going on my own image of them from what i remember from the description

Profile photo of Kevin Mest

Why are there field goals?  How do they happen?  Not ‘What is a field goal?’ mind you… but, how are they ever successful?  How, in the name of the High One, are field goals NOT BlOCKED EVERY SINGLE TIME when you can stack your entire secondary with beings that can jump 20 feet in the air?

A posible answer:  It’s possible to say that field goals in the GFL aren’t really about distance anymore… but accuracy.  To Beth’s point, we should have guys kicking the damned thing through the dome if athletic ability has kept up with the kickers as much as evey other position in football. Maybe a good field goal kicker isnt one that can kick for distance, but one that is good enough to avoid all the flying Skloro, and still make it through the uprights.

Also, GFL may have rules that prevent you from kicking a field goal from too far out… if a guy can boot a 70 (or greater) yard field goal, well, every team would try for the ‘gimmee’ instead of trying to move the ball down field.  However, if GFL regs made you at least get to the oponents 40 or something, it would force you to play football before you tried for the easy points.

Just a couple’a thoughts .  I think that GFL is close enough to NFL to be familiar, but far enough to add some ‘explainations.’

for the rest of us Junkies, what with all the audio editing and just generally being kick-ass, I’m not suprised that you’re bushed. Take a vacation, my man!

Oh, Sklorno have tentacles too. I imagine using raspers to catch the ball would pop it because of all the little teeth that line them.

Ooo, should I maybe start updating the wiki articles relating to The Rookie? I’ve listened to it like ten or twelve times now & practically have it memorized.

Profile photo of sadock

The Hurrah have tentacles. The Sklorno have raspers. Humans have hands. I couldn’t recall for sure what the other races had so I guessed. Sorry, I’m really tired. Just finished up my trial today.

But I do remember that the reason the backs had to be human was because of their hands. Yes, MuMu Kiluway snagged the ball at one point but that’s a far cry from passing it accurately. 

I thought Ki had multi-jointed arms, not tentacles. The artwork in the book represents them that way, anyway. Of course the artwork also shows Sklorno having a 3-toed tripod-like foot, whereas the text describes then as having "a thick pad of a foot with five long, splayed toes." (p74)

OMG, did I just put a page citation in there? I am such a nerd :) Oh well, holdover habit from writing WAY too many papers in college I guess.

Profile photo of sadock

Why else would humans be the standard running back? Running backs take a beating.

Profile photo of sadock

If they had raspers down there too, then that would certainly be true. But I doubt they could have such speed with rasper feet.

Methinks we should wait for the FDO to weigh in Cool

Profile photo of sadock

Ki tentacles aren’t shaped correctly to pass the ball Tongue out

Profile photo of athanas

I’d say it’s the perfect position for humans.

the trick to staying sane is to just out-crazy the world

Hey why not? Sure they’re not as fast at scrambling as a human, but given their size and stability, they don’t really need the speed. If a linebacker blitz comes, a Ki quarterback could either slap the puny human out of the way or just absorb the hit without ever going down. 

are not optimal for accurate kicking? Yeah, that sounds good. :) 

Profile photo of sadock

…..so inside the 35 is actually a 45 yard field goal. Unless something has really changed since I stopped watching the NFL, the "high percentage" cutoff in the modern era is the 30 yard line (ie 40 yard field goal).

No idea about a specialized race to kick field goals. I would think it would be Sklorno if it is one of the existing races. The musculature seems to fit their build much more than it does any of the others. And kickers certainly do not need to be tough. Heh. A kicker, tough. That’s a good one. 

Hey! Wait a minute! Isn’t that what Scott made me?!?

Profile photo of Beth_Ailis

So, we have Sklorno who are the perfect receivers, Ki as the offensive and defensive line and the Qyth warriors and Heavy G humans — all seemingly designed to be the ultimate at their positions. So The Big Guy (hubby) is listening to the re-cast with me and asks why there isn’t an alien who is awesome at kicking? I mean, we had Kevin Butler back in the 80’s kicking a 60-yarder (to beat Clemson) and had 16 FG’s for longer than 50 yards in the Pros. So why does the Krakens kicker need to get to the 35-yard line to attempt a field goal?  Just wondering…

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.