This topic contains 41 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by Avatar of Arioch Morningstar Arioch Morningstar 3 years, 1 month ago.

2011 Parsec Submissions are done! ……

and Arioch is pretty burnt out. I put in 6 hours yesterday & 14 hours today getting all of our submissions ready. I repeatedly underestimate how long these take to get done. Enormous thanks to Beth_Ailis for her suggestions on KISSYMAN & THE GENTLEMAN; Those were a lifesaver. Here’s the links if you want to listen to what I submitted:

Neighbors Submission (Best Speculative Fiction – Short Form)

Kissyman & the Gentleman Submission (Best Speculative Fiction – Novella Form)

Loyalty Submission (Best Speculative Fiction – Short Form)

Ancestor Submission (Best Speculative Fiction – Long Form)

Arioch Morningstar Submission (Best New Speculative Fiction Podcaster/Team)

5 Finalists will be selected from each category. These will be announced near the beginning of August. The winner of each category will be announced at the Awards Banquet, which is held at DragonCon in early September.

You listen to the content and enjoy it… so nominate some of that bad-ass fiction in this years Parsec Awards.

Stay Alive – N

I’m confused (obviously)
    [flickr-photo:id=5069365035, size=m] [flickr-photo:id=4347154616] Pusher and member of the Gutter Sistren

Someone had nominated TT for best short story w/o specifying which story or if they meant the whole show (which would be in the anthology category).

I can only make one person happy each day. Sorry, today’s not your day. Tomorrow’s not looking so good either.

Especially if you have a favorite Crypt story! I already submitted for Ancestor, Arioch (as new podcater) and Crypt (as anthology)… I hope the Parsec people don’t limit how many nominations a single person can submit.
    [flickr-photo:id=5069365035, size=m] [flickr-photo:id=4347154616] Pusher and member of the Gutter Sistren

I will warn you that I’ve only got so much production time. If everything gets nominated, I’ll have to triage what I have time to produce samples for. Those take a lot more time than it seems like they would.

I can only make one person happy each day. Sorry, today’s not your day. Tomorrow’s not looking so good either.

What helps you the most?

…..an opinion? Somehow I find that hard to believe.

Now let’s just say I don’t have a episode number or time stamps but I could supply a few page numbers. Will that be okay? Also what is the limit on page numbers? Are you looking for specific paragraphs or whole page numbers?……….The extremely humble owner of “THE ROOKIE” #2487/3000

When do you need the fav scenes? I know you need time to put the stuff together.

Episode 4: ~ 9 min – 11:30 (Pons Matal dying)
    Episode 33: ~ 7 min – 9:30 (Where’s Sara?)
    Episode 37: ~ 7:20 – 13 min (Magnus vs. Ancestor in the church)
    Still looking for the scene where the fetal ancestor eats the camera in-utero and Jian’s dream

The most difficult part for me is deciding which scenes to use. That’s why I poll you guys. Of course, if you give me 50 scenes, that’s not exactly helpful, but there’s no limit on page numbers. All I’m looking for is an idea of what y’all thought were the best parts of those two books. Ideally, enough people will respond that I can tell which are the most popular. If not, I’ll work with whatever I get. Anything you can give me will save me some time.

I’m going to work on getting TT #8 ready to roll first and then focus in on Parsec prep.

I’m going to re-listen to Kissyman and get those scenes to you, hopefully tomorrow or Thursday.

[flickr-photo:id=5353037802,size=m] & Proud member of the Gutter Sistren

-The whole prologue, which is quite lengthy.

-The birth of Baby McButter

-Mookie rolling in the dead squirrel and jumping on Colding

Gutter Sistren whipping boy, innoventor of words, Life Coach to the Damned.

Ep 2 (in the version I have, Ep 1 is K & Screaming Jesse): ~1:30 – 5:10 the intro scene with the Gentleman
    Ep 2: 13:30 – 16:30 meeting Lefty
    Ep 3: 14:00 to 16:30 getting shot, giggling, kissing the dead guy
    Ep 3: 18:00 – 20:00 the Shrine to BC
    Ep 5: 13:33 to 16:30 the death in the hosiptal
    Ep 6: 16:15 – 19:00 meeting Big John
    Haven’t gotten thru the rest yet, but that’s a start…. Thanks!

That will definitely make my job a *whole* lot easier. Still accepting suggestions though.

…..but thanks for the suggestions. I will likely begin putting submissions together Monday. Gotta get this TT done first. That’ll likely suck up the weekend.

Ep 8: 3:30 – 7:00 the fake cops
    Ep 9: 5:30 – 13 the battle on the catwalk (I know that’s prolly too long…)
    You RAWK and thanks for putting the stuff together.

the last 2 on your list Beth!

Episode 37: ~ 7:20 – 13 min (Magnus vs. Ancestor in the church)
    Still looking for the scene where the fetal ancestor eats the camera in-utero and Jian’s dream

I also liked the bit where the Ancestors were circling the bottom of the tower and biting it….

ANCESTOR is my favorite book, so I could wing it if I had to, but I barely remember the K&G story. Unlike most Junkies, I rarely have the time to listen to the stories more than once. Given, I work with them so they generally get fairly ingrained then, but for whatever reason, K&G didn’t stick too well :(

Thanks again!!!

I’ll start working on submissions tomorrow and they’re due Wednesday. Thanks to everyone for their ideas!

I’m fairly sure that I can use 4 segments totaling 30 minutes for K&G (novella) and 6 segments totaling 60 minutes for ANC (novel.) Don’t worry about length at this point (within reason). The biggest help is finding a place to start from. It’s much easier to trim 2 hours down to 1 than it is trying to go from 18 to 1.

Do you want me to post links to the submissions after they’re done?

I’m fairly pleased with how it turned out. Now I have to knock out the other four. I’m guessing they will be significantly more difficult. I did discover a new aspect to the evaluation process, and hope to take advantage of that. I’ll likely just alter the name of this thread again. Off to work again.

Oh, btw, the Parsec Steering committee totally RAWKS!! Originally we had until 000 EST, but they changed it to 000 Hawaii time this afternoon. That gives me an extra six hours, which is frakkin’ awesome since I’m a night owl. And I repeatedly underestimate how long it takes me to put together these submissions.

Thanks for all your hard work and effort – we Junkies really do appreciate it.

I’m sure the FDO will be generous and grant you 5 minutes for a nap. Wink

“Go Detroit on it!”

WOW! I couldn’t listen beyond Neighbors. Spoilers!!! I have not heard the others! I will make a mental note to investigate … Podiobooks Dot Com … how exciting! Congratulations for making the deadline and I imagine you will walk away with all of the awards!! Hard work – appreciated!! Ugh teleconference … Happy Thursday!!

Nice job, Arioch. I shall commence crossing my various and sundry body parts for the votes!

Gutter Sistren whipping boy, innoventor of words, Life Coach to the Damned.

Good on you sir, for getting them in on time.

It’s a lot of work but they’re in and the best of luck!

Stay Alive – N

Great job – every one of these sounds amazing!!

The Pure Essence of Randomness, Captain of the Touchback, One-Time Pusher and Proud member of the Gutter Sistren

FNB, great work! And my complement was not influenced in the least bit by listening to the ANCESTOR submission. ;)

[flickr-photo:id=3718433600,size=m]
    KISS’d by Sigler. Honored recipient of the 2009 “Iron Man” Award.
    Funky Name Brotha, Gutter Brethren & Pusher Thrice Over!

She helped out with ANCESTOR selections, and I was glad to be able to mix things up as far as Scott’s writing style goes. I didn’t want to do all thriller/action scenes, so I tried to put in some character development, humour, and romance in addition to the classic Sigler blood and violence. ANCESTOR is my favorite book of Scott’s, so I will be uber psyched if we win in September.

The KISSYMAN & THE GENTLEMAN submission is almost verbatim what Beth picked out. She was off on a few episodes and I expanded some of the time stamps, but the scenes I used are the ones she selected. I couldn’t remember that storyline at *all* and I didn’t have a print version to reference. Treeware is far superior to audio for quick reference.

Of my most heinous death as a submission for the Parsecs!

With treeware I can always seem to remember the approx location of an item. With the audio segments I get completely lost.

Now the tense wait to see what wins! So exciting!!

I finally listened to all 5 of them, I really enjoyed every minute of the those that were submitted. Best of luck!……….The extremely humble owner of “THE ROOKIE” #2487/3000

I’m not sure if you saw my heckling of you in a different thread or this is a coincidence.

And thanks for the compliment as well. I’m working on producing some of the audio from SiglerFest so those who didn’t go can experience at least part of it.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.