This topic contains 38 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by Profile photo of Arioch Morningstar Arioch Morningstar 6 years, 3 months ago.

2008 Parsec Submission links

• Profile photo of Arioch Morningstar

I’ve heard a rumor that Seth is Scott’s young pae-da-won ;) The FDO might be annoyed if an "accident" befell him…..

– hit Podiobooks.com for undiluted crack by our FDO! –

Profile photo of Peter Braat

he shouldn’t say things like that on a site filled with junkies.

[1st Dutch junkie] All that matters is getting my fix.

Profile photo of J.P.

Oh, wait a minute…you meant Jack Palms, not me.

– Verveces tui similes pro ientaculo mihi appositi sunt. (I have jerks like you for breakfast.)

Profile photo of SkepticPimp PImp (yeah pimp again)

Dude JWU is an awesome book. Hell the whole JP series has been great. 

I listened to the whole thing and enjoyed myself very much. I would

recommend it to anyone. 

Profile photo of J.P.

I’ll be there from 10-13 Aug; not related to nme. Damn!

– Verveces tui similes pro ientaculo mihi appositi sunt. (I have jerks like you for breakfast.)

Profile photo of Seth_Harwood

Vegas? You going for NME? 

I’ll be there from the 14th to 16th.

Let me know if you’ll be there.

Any other junkies planning to hit NME?

Seth 

Profile photo of Arioch Morningstar

I’ve been looking for more PB titles to throw into my queue. I had pretty much axed you off as an author because the sound was so bad. I’ll have to go back and check out Jack the First.

Honestly, given the issues you still have with the remaster, ditch the gate entirely. It would sound better to have a constant minimal noise floor than that intermittent absolute silence. I’m surprised you can’t hear it on Disney 1. It’s horrid on that one.

They know of the Sigler army!!

Profile photo of J.P.

No problem Seth. The Mrs. and I are in the middle of a move right now, but we’ll find time to check all the audio as described as we’re making the migration. I should have some free time in the next week–will be making a trip to Vegas for 4 days before we actually finish the move. There’ll be time then for sure! I’m kind of excited about this–I’d love to jump back into the story again. More soon!

but that is only one man’s opinion. One of my biggest pet peeves is poor audio quality. If I begin listening to a ‘cast, ESPECIALLY a story ‘cast and the audio blows, it’s history. There’s plenty of other ‘casts out there that sound great. If all you need to do to fix it is levelate it, do it.

Hmm…

the gate becomes a problem when the fan comes on for my macbook and creates some background noise. But it’s not there all the time. Maybe I should work on that…

I have the option to levelate all the old files, but I wasn’t sure that was a problem. Is it worth me re-levelating all the old files I recorded before I started using levelator to cancel out the noise/distortion issues?

If so, I’ll get on it. What do you guys think?

SH 

You still have an issue with your gate, but compared to what it sounded like before, it’s quite a bit better. At least I can listen to it now. Before I couldn’t even understand the story because the imperfections were so distracting. That’s still there a little, but unless someone is an audiophile, they’re not going to notice.

The problem I’m talking about with the gate is that whenever it engages you have true silence versus the small amount of ambient noise you’ll always have. The higher your noise floor, the worse this problem gets. Check out how bad it is on A Long Way from Disney Part I. Then compare how much it improved when you recorded Part II.

I don’t have any idea what kind of equipment you’re using, but my guess is you’re using a hard kneed gate. It is ruining your ‘casts. Really. That’s the only problem I see with the remastered Palms. Hope that helps.    –Arioch

Thanks JP. I really appreciate that. Fact of the matter is that now the iTunes feed and the podiobooks feed are the same links/same episodes. I took out the ones with the chatter a long time ago.

So have a listen and see what you think. I think everything should be good to go there and you shouldn’t have any problems/issues.

If so, I’d love to know it.

Also, try a spot-check listen to an episode of JP3 if you like. I KNOW the episodes there are all ok.

Yours,

Seth 

Profile photo of J.P.

Seth, gotta say I thought the story itself was awesome–what of it I listened to–but the quality just flat out got in the way. I’ll gladly listen to the episode you sent the link for. In fact I’ll do a little more. When I originally subscribed, I did it directly through iTunes. I’m going to subscribe again through the direct feed from podiobooks. Also, my wife is subscribing through iTunes (like I did the first time) and will give a listen. (She was intrigued by my description of the story when I was listening the first time.) I’ll let you know what we find/hear. Do you know if there are any versions still out there that aren’t the new/improved?

Profile photo of Jordan Willis

I don’t know what you are talking about. It was fine for me.

G-Man

Nine million terrorists in the world I gotta kill one with smaller feet than my sister. – John McClane

Hey guys,

I’m surprised by these responses. I knew a ways back some of the episodes on the podiobooks feed had some problems, but those have been fixed for a long time now. For a long time now, I didn’t know there was a problem.

Will you do me a favor?

Will one (or both) of you guys give this episode a listen and let me know how it sounds?

http://media.libsyn.com/media/sethharwood/JackWakesUp-01-Remastered.mp3

I’d love to know if you think this one has a problem too.

Thanks junkies!

Seth 

author of the Jack Palms Crime series find it at sethharwood.com.

YOUNG JUNIUS starts 8/17/08. Be there!

Profile photo of J.P.

I agree with sadock. I struggled to get through the first Jack Palms. Audio quality was awful, and several of the episodes weren’t complete. In several other episodes, it seemed the content was simply cut-and-pasted together, and not always in the right order. I finally gave up and never made it to 2 or 3.

The audio quality was so bad on 1 & 2 I couldn’t even get through the first episode of either. I was kind of annoyed because I’ve heard it’s an awesome ass story. Never even listened to Jack Palms 3.

Parsecs? Fuggin Parsecs? It’s all about Jack Palms, babies!! JACK PALMS 3, in fact!!

at least one, if not all of them.

G-Man

Nine million terrorists in the world I gotta kill one with smaller feet than my sister. – John McClane

Profile photo of Ralph Schmeer

Just lsitend to the Nocturnal one and it is great that should do it 

Things go wrong and that is how we learn

Profile photo of Wolf

you deserve a cookie. N-8? couldja send one?

Bastards on the panel are hard enough to impress as it is!

G-Man

But there is *very* little removed from it ;)

I did not know how anal the Parsec committee would be, so I went ahead and threw a quick intro/re-direct on it and chopped out 45-60 seconds. The *last* thing I wanted to do was get Scott disqualified for some stupid ass shit like being over the time limit by a few seconds. I also re-did the ID3 tags on that one since I had to fuck with it anyways. With ?1puvjk I literally sent it in as is without touching it at all. Yeah, yeah, too much information. I know.

— hit Podiobooks.com for undiluted crack by our FDO! –

G-Man

It’s identical to the original release. The only reason I included it in the links was for symmetry’s sake. 

since ?pjuvc was less than ten minutes to start with does that mean that you just left it the same but with different music.

G-Man

There was no way I could even come close to abridging Nocturnal so I just went with most of the samples y’all had suggested. Worked out well since there was a good spread over the entire story arc. Thanks again for helping out with that.

It would be difficult for me to choose which story was the most difficult to abridge. I had to axe more than half the time out of most of them.

It’s got to be hard to condense Kissyman into 10 minutes but you pulled it off.

G-Man

It is like a giant episode of awesome-ness.

G-Man

I decided to go balls out and see if putting some real time and effort into producing the submissions. Figured the extra effort couldn’t hurt and it might even force the Parsec Awards panel to acknowledge the FDO’s brilliance……

The more producing I do, the more respect/admiration/understanding I gain for all the hard work that goes into putting out a quality sound file.

Bloodcast 2008 is probably the least representative of all of them, since there were four totally unrelated stories with a super short time limit. If you think I did a decent job on that one, the others *should* all be fine. Yet there’s no accounting for taste.

That’s when the 2008 Dragon*Con Awards Banquet is, but it does not actually say that is when they will be announcing/issuing the Parsecs. 

G-Man

Profile photo of Justin Crumpler

I believe that would be august 29-sept1. not sure as to the exact day the parsec awards is on

G-Man

and you did a great job on the editing. Even though I have already heard them before I want to hear them again. Great Job.

G-Man

All the editing is done for the 2008 Parsec Awards. If the panel knows what’s good for them, they will recognize Scott’s genius this year and honor him as they should have done last year…  If you’d like to listen to what I put together, here are the links:

Bloodcast 2008

error 3 reconstruct

The Great Snipe Hunt

Kissyman & Screamin’ Jesse Dupre

Nocturnal

Passenger

Red Man

?1puvjk

None of this is new material, but I know some of you want absolutely everything, and I don’t blame you for that. I’m the same way. Snipe Hunt and Passenger have been abridged down to 30 minutes each, Nocturnal is 60 minutes of samples, all of the others are abridged down to 10 minutes or less.

Special thanks to jtswambo , DragonRiderOfPe… , scottsigler    StayzKrunchyInMilk and gmanvsfreeman for their helpful suggestions in compiling this project. 

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.