I would like Portland Oregon to be a future tour stop for the FDO. If you are a Sigler Junkie who lives in, around (or even underneath of) PDX, I would like to drink beer with you. A Sigler/military sci-fi book club would kick ass. Portland will be subjugated long before the FDO ascends. As far as I know, we need at least 50 people to qualify as a future tour stop.
If you are a Junkie who is planning to visit or move to PDX, here are some of the benefits:
1. We have a 68,000 ft² bookstore that calls itself a "city of books".
2. We have a staggering number of microbreweries. People who try to count them die from alcohol poisoning.
3. We are rumored to have more strip clubs per capita than any other U.S. city.
4. Voodoo Doughnut. These crazy mofos put fried bacon, oreos, tang, and grape koolaid on doughnuts.
5. Me. My secret lair is somewhere near Portland. I publish a zine of short* science fiction stories and I'm a crazy filmmaker/writer/marketing guy. What's not to like?
6. Movie Madness. This is not what happens when you watch too many movies, its one of the coolest indie video stores on the west coast. They have loads of out of print movies and entire sections devoted to horror, sci-fi, and psychotronic movies. Some examples of category names are: "Childhood icons gone wrong", "Hammer Films", and "Lucio Fulci". Movie Madness is also a movie prop museum. My favorite prop is the ear from Blue Velvet.
*If you want to publish novels, I heard about a company called Dark Overlord Media...
"I love the smell of dead triangles in the morning…The smell, you know that rotting smell…smells like victory"
---Perry Dawsey paraphrasing Robert Duvall