My boasty-boast New Year’s Resolution to write one million new words in 2012 is off to a rocky start. That’s my writing ego in the picture, taking a punch from Captain Reality.
I started off on fire because I was cranking out the first draft of THE MVP (which goes on pre-sale right here on this site on Super Bowl Saturday, Feb. 4, 9am PT, noon ET, 5pm GMT). When I finished THE MVP, I puttered around a bit reveling in my glory. Well, glory (and FIFA 2012) doesn’t pay the bills, folks. I had a bunch of zero-word days and discovered those are unacceptable if I want to accomplish this crazy goal.
• I wrote 61,777 words in January.
• I need to write 83,333 words a month to make 1,000,000 for the year
• I am now behind 21,556 words.
• I averaged 1,993 words a day (8 pages)
• I am off of the required pace by 1,007 words per day (4 pages)
• To catch up in February, I need to write 2,976 (if I write every day in Feb) + 1,007 (to make up for January deficit) = 3,983 words a day (that’s 16 pages a day)
Impossible? Hardly. Difficult? You bet your country ass it is. I have had plenty of 5k+ days in my career, but an entire month of 4k days is a biggun. Hopefully, I can carve into the deficit in February and finish it off in March.